If i am perscribed to Adderall and fly?

October 14, 2008

I am a pilot in training, and i have been working on my private pilot's license for a little over a year now (took a little longer than planned due to things coming up). Anyways, i have been Clinically Diagnosed with ADHD and now take Adderall, but i only take it when i want to. I am not required to take it all the time, just when i feel that i need to. I know that it is illegal for me to fly while i am under the influence of the medication and for that reason, i do not take it on days that i go flying. My question is, does the FAA prohibit a person from flying if they are perscribed to a Amphetamine or do they just prohibit flight of an aircraft while under the influence? This is a VERY serious issue for me, so please no joke responses, thank you very much. Arek
so if the airforce has their pilots take Amphetamines on distance trips, and the medicine is clinically proven to enhance my brain processing (the tests showed that i have a high iq and i am very intelligent but my brain processes information slower than 98% of people in my iq bracket) by that i mean that the medication doesnt affect me like it would someone that doesnt have the problems like i do. it only brings me to my norm, it doesnt act like speed would. Would there be a way to go around the FAA regulations or would just telling the doctor testing me for my medical that i do not take the medication be an option for me to get my ceritficate? (I currently have a Class A medical certificate for another 9 months)
many people answering this question, do not understand the issue, i received my medical a year ago…i was diagnosed with adhd a month ago. i was prescribed to adderall 2 weeks ago. i do not take adderall when i fly, i'm not stupid, also i found out today from my instructor that i have to take it to the FAA and talk with my medical examiner and it will then be decided if i am good to fly. it is based on my own personal judgment, ALSO on the judgment of the Medical Examiner. Thanks for the answers tho…they helped me out a bunch.

I just went for a class 2 med certification from FAA. DR said I needed to come off my meds to qualify for liscense. I was on wellbutrin because my insurance would not approve traditional add meds. However, DR told me that FAA does not like any psychtropic meds.

Comments

9 Responses to “If i am perscribed to Adderall and fly?”

1. scoobyd3 on October 14th, 2008 11:32 am

References :

2. Gemma on October 14th, 2008 11:51 am

I'm not too sure about private pilots, but I know in the air force (my husband is a pilot) they can't even take Tylenol, let alone an amphetamine, prescription or not. Anything that would require the need for it would eliminate them from certification or even qualifying.
    References :

3. Peter Piper of the 1980s on October 14th, 2008 12:00 pm

That's ironic, the AF makes the pilots take amphetamines when they are going on long missions.
    References :

4. Shawn M on October 14th, 2008 12:08 pm

No you can not take amphetamines and qualify for a medical. You have a valid point, but putting anything in your body that has the potential to alter your decision making capabilites will be frowned upon by the medical review board. If you really want to apply for a waiver, get an aviation attorney and file for one.

And no, the Air Force does not issue amphetimines to the pilots, not even on long trips. They have very stringent crew rest cycles that must be adhered to. It had what they called a go pill for a spell, that was issued on a case by case basis as part of a study, but was discontinued many moons ago. It basically was a caffiene tab, very watered down by comparison to adderall. The studies concluded after missions that the pilots decision making capabilities were diminished, and they required longer down time after they completed their sorties, which of course is a problem in wartime.
    References :

5. aedesign on October 14th, 2008 12:17 pm

According the the FAA approved medication list, Adderall is not allowed. This issue should have been discussed and listed on your medical history form when getting your medical. Lying about this is not an option.
    References :

6. Douglas D on October 14th, 2008 12:36 pm

It is up to your Aviation Medical Examiner to decide if you are fit to fly, & as a pilot you are obligated to report any instance where your fitness to fly is in doubt. That definately includes the use of any or all prescription drugs!
    By making your own decision on your fitness to fly you are not only busting the aviation regs, you are also gambling with your life. SERIOUSLY!
    References :

7. uk boy on October 14th, 2008 1:17 pm

what is the question
    References :

8. WILLIAM S on October 14th, 2008 1:27 pm

I suffer from ADD. Which is similar. I don't take medication for adds. But if you are trusted with the lives of 30 plus passengers safety don't you think the job requires your full Attn?
    References :

9. Informed on January 14th, 2009 9:58 am

Before commenting on the effects of the drug, why don’t you folks actually take the time to do your homework first? The last comment by WILLIAM S asks if “you are trusted with the lives of 30 plus passengers safety don’t you think the job requires your full Attn?” Hmm, well let’s see. Do some quick (google even?) research on said drug, Adderall, and viola.. what’s that? Oh, Adderall actually increases attentiveness, cognitive reasoning, decisiveness etc…

Ignorance must really be bliss.