On a Cessna 172, does the auto pilot have to be on for the nose trim to work?

October 7, 2009

Does the auto pilot have to be on for the nose trim to be effective, like if I put nose trim down, it will go down?
I mean does the nose trim still work when the auto pilot is off?

yes, very few 172’s have AP. there is a "wheel" you turn(manually) to adjust the trim tab.

Comments

7 Responses to “On a Cessna 172, does the auto pilot have to be on for the nose trim to work?”

1. Falcon 2000 Pilot on October 7th, 2009 4:05 am

ummm, ya
    References :

2. cherokeeflyer on October 7th, 2009 4:40 am

References :

3. argosandy on October 7th, 2009 5:19 am

Most 172 aircraft are not fitted with autopilots,and where an auto pilot is fitted the nose trim Is designed to function independantly of the auto pilot in any case especially when autopilot off
    References :

4. Rick on October 7th, 2009 5:55 am

I think you’re talking about a single axis autopilot, aka wing leveler. the answer is yes. A wing leveler autopilot is good for minding the store while you check a map, I used to fly a Sierra a couple decades ago that had a wing leveler autopilot that would track a VOR radial, even made turns at the VOR if I recall correctly. (a big if at my age)

It was kinda neat but more of a toy/gimmick. Couldn’t really use it for more than a few minutes without checking/adjusting the altitude to prevent a bust.

**EDIT**
    Well, 172’s with 3 axis AP’s , and altitude hold? I’ll be damned. I’m getting older every day.

"Back in my day…..yada, yada, yada…."
    References :

5. eferrell01 on October 7th, 2009 6:10 am

The elevator trim, rudder trim, and aileron trim work regardless of whether the AP is on. With the autopilot on(3 axis) it is trimmed automatically. Most 172s won’t have a 3 axis auto pilot.
    References :

6. aviophage on October 7th, 2009 6:37 am

It is extremely rare to see a 172 equipped with an autopilot or even a wing leveler. The pitch trim works independently of any other equipment.
    References :
    old pilot

7. John R on October 7th, 2009 7:01 am

Hate to break this to the old timers, but every 172 that I’ve seen that was built in the past 10 years has a full blown autopilot and electric trim.
    The trim does not depend on the autopilot, The electric trim must be powered on for altitude hold on the autopilot to function, but the trim still operates without the AP engaged.
    References :