Hong Kong Colonial Style

March 11, 2010

The most ancient colonial fashioned structure still to survive in Hong Kong is the Flagstaff House. The building for along time was the residence of the Commander of the British Armed forced in Hong Kong, during Hong Kong’s colonial era.

Formerly Flagstaff House was called Headquarter House before 1932. The exact person to whom the design of this wonderful building should be attributed to remains a bit of a mystery. Most historians think that either, Murdoch Bruce, who was apparently Scotsman or Lieutenant Bernard Collinson designed this building. The building has an architectural style of Greek revival style. The construction of the building was completed in 1846. The first resident to live within this building was Major General George Charles D’Aguilar. He was the General Officer Commanding (1844 to 1846) and was also the Lieutenant Governor.

The building was later offered over to the civilian Hong Kong government by the military. It was heralded as a monument in 1989. Restoration efforts were made to bring it to the 19th century style, with reinforcements being made to the structure of the building.

The Flagstaff House has been changed to the Flagstaff House Museum of Tea Ware in 1984, which is a division of the Hong Kong Museum of Art. This museum studies, collects and displays tea ware. The world’s oldest existing teapot resides here. A new arm was made to the museum, the K.S. Lo Gallery, in 1995. This was named in honour of local person who made a donation of his collection in 1970.This is now the museum’s main collection.

Numerous hotels are also available here; a noteworthy hotel in Hong Kong is the Cosmo Hotel in Hong Kong.

Comments

Got something to say?