City of Flagstaff vs Cyclist

April 11, 2010

Riding to work early Saturday morning 12-19-09. I was “buzzed” by a City of Flagstaff transit bus. I had moved to the left side of the bicycle lane to avoid a pile of snow. The bus chose to come within a foot of me, even though their was no other traffic within blocks. I followed the bus to the main transit center. I took a photo of the license plate, and tried to get a good photo of the driver. I then followed the bus riders on the bus in order to get a better photo. The driver soon realized that I wasn’t there for a ride. The following is some of the incident that I recorded on my phone.

Comments

15 Responses to “City of Flagstaff vs Cyclist”

1. BrundukasLT on April 11th, 2010 10:30 pm

omg, just go faster than cars :DD

2. cyclepod1 on April 11th, 2010 10:34 pm

@JP
    With all the swear words you use, clearly you get angry very quickly, just over a couple of youtube comments. I don’t think writing aggressive stuff on this thread is good for your blood pressure.All this stress probably knocks off about 5 years of your life. What you could do, it take up cycling, to release all that aggression.

3. sunnyjoe66 on April 11th, 2010 10:50 pm

The Cyclist is entitled to avoid the Snow and Ice by keeping out, and the Bus Driver is supposed to give the Cyclist plenty of Space. It is Established Practice all over the Civilised World and this Bus Driver was acting the Bully in forcing the Cyclist out of the way.
    In short the Bus Driver committed a Crime and when he found out he was getting Photographed he got Angry. He did not want Evidence being compiled against him even though he thought he was right and not wrong.

4. downfader2 on April 11th, 2010 11:50 pm

@jp.. me pathetic, LOL!! You’re the one who wouldnt (or more probably couldnt) back up their argument, and you’ve resorted to childish insults and a paddy as a result.

You dont get what you want by throwing hissy fits, LMAO!! Which petition are you refering to btw?

5. drsquirrel0 on April 12th, 2010 12:26 am

BAN(IGNORE) HAMMER!

6. downfader2 on April 12th, 2010 12:53 am

So you havent the bottle to back up your idiotic ideas with facts, then? You’ve just destroyed your whole argument. Now most trolls atleast TRY and argue the toss and mention fake “laws”, you havent even attempted LOL!

And yes I do stick up for people if I think they need it. Remember that you came on here saying the driver should run the guy over, which was completely inwarranted and ungentlemanly.

7. drsquirrel0 on April 12th, 2010 1:01 am

You do not expect any traffic in front of you to have to pull over and let you pass because they want to get around the same obstacle as you.

Logical thinking, person in front goes around first (cyclist) person behind goes around second (Bus).

Bus should overtake when it’s safe. Simple as.

8. downfader2 on April 12th, 2010 1:40 am

Ahh the strawman in its entirety. Me, ignorant? LMAO!!

Where does it state in US state law that the cyclist had to yeild to the driver? I may be a UK citizen but even I know no such situation exists.

9. jpcrossman on April 12th, 2010 1:41 am

What proof is there that he endangered the bicyclist? The bicyclist should have slowed down, or stopped, prior to approaching the ice and allowed the bus to go by. Then at that time, resume and go around the ice / snow. Ummm… and just because I post something does not mean one has been drinking. Poor bicyclist…. I am not sympathetic whatsoever, nor do I care about your slanted and ignorant comments.

10. downfader2 on April 12th, 2010 1:54 am

@jpcrossman
    I see the festive spirit is out in full. Have you been drinking it perchance?

Just because he’s driving a bus doesnt give him the right to endanger life. If you look at the footage there are pics of the ice and snow. Driver only had to turn that big round thing in front of him and go around the cyclist.

Also in most countries the vehicle in front has right of way and you make allowances for that.

11. jpcrossman on April 12th, 2010 2:44 am

The driver should have just run his ass over. What an ass to obstruct a city bus and hold up passengers trying to make connections or get where they are going. Why did you not allow the bus to pass properly and then follow behind the bus to get around the snow? It sounds like you have no life and was looking for someone to vent your frustrations because of your poor decision making. You try to be smarter than you are… a small bike against a BIG CITY BUS? DUH… wait or move over!

12. talan2222 on April 12th, 2010 3:02 am

This sure makes Flagstaff seem like an A## backwards town. They should fire this bus driver and provide an education course for the rest of the drivers as well as all the police officers. No excuse for almost killing someone.

13. downfader2 on April 12th, 2010 3:32 am

My advice is to also google the relevant laws on cycling and photography with a view that you might be able to take this to news crews and newpapers to raise awareness (not just of the incident but that the authorities have left the road in an unfit condition). You might well find that its not illegal to photograph individuals, vehicles etc (it certainly isnt here).

Lastly there was a good video on a SanFran cyclecop who gave good advice on here somewhere.

14. downfader2 on April 12th, 2010 3:51 am

Interesting situation out in the US. Here in the UK its one law for the whole of it, however everything I’ve read of the US cycling situation seems to suggest that different states have different laws.

With regards 3 feet there is a website set up and lists the States and statutes. Might be of help for you.

..continued..

15. matt on May 2nd, 2010 10:45 pm

This guy is the douche bag who sabotaged an MBAA bike race in flagstaff.