Bad Monkey Speaker Sim demo

December 6, 2010

Since the Klon vs Bad Monkey video has been so popular, I thought it might be fun to show the Bad Monkey’s speaker sim function as well. Here it is straight into the computer with a bit of reverb added for room. I think the Strat sounds better with it; the Floyd’s humbuckers are just too hot. What do you think? Either way, these pedals can be had for less than US$50 with a bit of searching so they’re pretty good value for money. 🙂 Mick Brierley pickups link – www.brierleyguitarpickups.com.au

Comments

25 Responses to “Bad Monkey Speaker Sim demo”

1. pablonoxi on December 6th, 2010 6:21 pm

@jfhdylvr an AC/DC tone from Bonn’s era…I have tried it

2. ImageRiver on December 6th, 2010 7:06 pm

Well if anything else, this vid just convinced me that I need a strat. 🙂

3. brddork on December 6th, 2010 7:49 pm

Best 20 bucks I ever spent. It’s a fantastic overdrive considering the price, or even without considering the price!

4. MrBlink41SUM on December 6th, 2010 8:33 pm

@raqugo123
    pretty much all distortions are analog, except for some line 6 stuff

5. Burgerman666 on December 6th, 2010 8:44 pm

@mean0machine0 No, I haven’t, but if there’s anything you’re interested in, shoot me a PM. I can always use the $ as these demos are done for nix (sometimes I get to hang on to the pedal but many are paid for) and I desperately want to upgrade my crappy (loaned) camera and software.

6. mean0machine0 on December 6th, 2010 8:55 pm

do you sell your pedals on ebay?

7. Burgerman666 on December 6th, 2010 9:27 pm

@prkl6 Thanks for the kind words. I have to confess though, that this pedal has not seen the end of my guitar jack since this video was filmed. I only shot it because I was asked to so many times. So, I’m sorry, I can’t comment on the noise floor. If I remember to, I’ll dig it out again, check and get back to you.. Stay tuned.

8. prkl6 on December 6th, 2010 10:18 pm

Is the pedal noisy when you crank the clean channel of your amp?? Great playing by the way : )

9. jfhdylvr on December 6th, 2010 11:17 pm

i think you might be able to pull off an AC/DC tone

10. jeserty6 on December 6th, 2010 11:22 pm

Is the Bad Monkey better for boosting than the Boss SD-1?

11. coreyfromtheband on December 6th, 2010 11:48 pm

holi fok! this guitar sounds awesome,i guess is easy to play too

12. jakehm on December 7th, 2010 12:11 am

mm, has kindof a growl to it. I played with one a long time ago (before i even really played [not that i’m any good now lol]) but i didn’t really pay attention to much. I do remember liking it more than the Ibanez DS7 (which i now have… hm…) but after watching some demos, i think i’d really like to buy one.

13. raqugo123 on December 7th, 2010 12:47 am

the bad monkey is analog?

14. bluepingu345 on December 7th, 2010 1:09 am

@Burgerman666 I was wondering the same as @The4455 but if you listen to the start of the video the pedal is off and you can still hear a clean sound 🙂 .

15. bluepingu345 on December 7th, 2010 1:58 am

@The4455 I was wondering that but if you listen to the start of the video the pedal is off and you can still hear a clean sound.

16. Burgerman666 on December 7th, 2010 2:19 am

@The4455 I’m damned if I can remember, sorry. The BM is lost in an ever growing pile of pedals! Can anyone else enlighten our friend, please?

17. The4455 on December 7th, 2010 2:48 am

Can you use the bad monkey’s speaker simulation without having the pedal on, for distortion?

18. Burgerman666 on December 7th, 2010 3:18 am

@uva2323 Some I spend money on, others are sent to me. Most get ‘demos’. Reviews are critical and I’m hardly ever critical; I just play them and let you guys decide what’s good or bad.

19. uva2323 on December 7th, 2010 4:03 am

@Burgerman666 its a great pedal, why spend money on stuff just for reviewing?

20. Burgerman666 on December 7th, 2010 4:20 am

@zsup2 Thanks. It’s a Clapton Signature Strat circa 2004. The pickups and electronics are all changed, though. I’ve replaced the stock Noiseless pickups with Mick Brierley Hand Wounds (see link in ‘info’ section of this clip’s page); they’re a little under wound and, as you’ve pointed out, very sweet. Gone also are the TBX and other Clapton-esque bits and pieces. I’ve gone the straight-up 5 way switch and standard tone and volume pot route.

21. zsup2 on December 7th, 2010 4:44 am

is that an american standard strat ? any particular year or model ? it just sounds particularly sweet

22. Raxmole on December 7th, 2010 5:33 am

@brianwurst1234 yeah man ! i would really like to have a guitar with bunch of knobs and switches built in! i like playin with switches and knobs!! Just imagine the possibilities !!!!

23. brianwurst1234 on December 7th, 2010 5:39 am

@Raxmole you can!

24. SpenserAteTheWorld on December 7th, 2010 6:10 am

White Jimi Hendrix? I think so

25. Burgerman666 on December 7th, 2010 6:15 am

@ooff I honestly couldn’t tell you. The only time I’ve ever used the pedal in this way was for the making of this video. In fact the pedal itself has not been used since. Sorry!