Machine Head Pedals 72 Degrees Overdrive

December 8, 2010

www.machineheadpedals.com Keith was kind enough to send me one of these little beauties to check out and he ain’t getting it back because it is fantastic! it’s tight, tuned beautifully, stacks impeccably with other drives and generally makes whatever I play sound better. I’m convinced, I reckon you will be too. ’72 degrees’ is the perfect temperature and now it’s synonymous with a perfect overdrive. Nice one Keith!

Comments

24 Responses to “Machine Head Pedals 72 Degrees Overdrive”

1. jehabana on December 8th, 2010 2:22 am

@Burgerman666 can’t wait for that collaboration 😀

2. MELLSBAD on December 8th, 2010 3:18 am

@Burgerman666 I bought this pedal on ebay from a guy that linked to this video as an example of what it sounds like. Took like 3 weeks to get here from australia. Sounds great to me.

3. Rambo29 on December 8th, 2010 4:05 am

Is this FET driven?

4. YofterMofter on December 8th, 2010 4:10 am

That’s nice. Does it work well with solid state amps too? Thanks for posting it!

5. Burgerman666 on December 8th, 2010 4:46 am

@santoaxe Thanks for the kind words. The Plexidrive and 72 are two different beasts, really. The Plexi does the JTM45 AC/DC thing and the 72 is a smoother overdrive, more for general use. Their only real resemblance to each other is that they’re both dirt boxes. Aside from that, they’re chalk and cheese IMO. Tough choice, eh?

6. santoaxe on December 8th, 2010 4:59 am

Hey burgerman, nice demos man.
    Which one would you choose, the plexidrive or the Machinehead 72?
    Thanks

7. 59TweedVibrolux on December 8th, 2010 5:36 am

The EvelynII is a great pedal but I’m more an Overdrive person than Distortion. Play through a ’68 50w Marshall so go more for overdrive or some treble boost.
    Definitely going to get a 72 degrees.

8. Burgerman666 on December 8th, 2010 5:49 am

@59TweedVibrolux Yep. All credit to Keith Aviles at Machine Head Pedals. He’s a tireless perfectionist and keeps coming up with the goods. Have you checked out the Evelyn II yet?

9. 59TweedVibrolux on December 8th, 2010 6:08 am

Superb Tonal Range. Really handles all styles beautifully.

10. Burgerman666 on December 8th, 2010 6:47 am

@Rambo29 Impossible. I don’t have the boots or the accent. 🙂 Just wait until we get together though, for a duet. That will be fun. Coming soon..

11. Rambo29 on December 8th, 2010 6:48 am

Your demos blow Gearmann out the water

12. Burgerman666 on December 8th, 2010 7:16 am

I mic the amp and run the mic through an M-Audio ProFire 610 to Logic. I bounce the audio out of Logic to 16 or 24 bit WAV and then drag the WAV’s on top of the video in iMovie. I turn down the camera’s built in microphone audio and sync up, very carefully (it’s a PITA actually), the Logic audio to the iMovie footage. What you see (and hear) is what you get. Thanks for watching!

13. motokev on December 8th, 2010 7:34 am

very nice playing….. How do U record your clips. Do U mic the amp and feed it to a USB interface and record to the computer ? how do U sinc the video with audio ? thanks

14. Burgerman666 on December 8th, 2010 8:12 am

I like to think the 72 stands alone but I guess an Eternity or any other high quality TS derivative might come close. The quality that separates this one from the others though, is where it is tuned – it’s ‘peak’ or resonant frequency. It’s spot on for me.

15. Burgerman666 on December 8th, 2010 8:25 am

Sure. Sometime in the future I’ll pull out the slide and have a go for you.

16. HD28HD on December 8th, 2010 8:35 am

And, I got a last question, what do you think would be a similar alternative?

17. HD28HD on December 8th, 2010 8:54 am

Hee, what do you reckon? Does this pedal sound good, with some blues slide guitar.. Could you demo that maby?

Thanks!

18. yinyangthang on December 8th, 2010 9:07 am

Oh your daughter is darling! She provided a great intro to your video–thanks for including her–made my day!

19. Burgerman666 on December 8th, 2010 9:07 am

No, it’s different. This one unabashedly colors your tone – but what a great color! It definitely tips it hat to the TS lineage but as far as I’m concerned it’s the best of the lot. The Tim, on the other hand, is more of a ‘transparent’ boost that drives great as well – especially with Marshalls which it was designed for. If I had to choose two drives only for my board, they would be my choice.

20. joemiracle220 on December 8th, 2010 10:01 am

do you like this pedal better than the tim?

21. Burgerman666 on December 8th, 2010 10:23 am

..When they’re ready…still waiting on parts, other stuff. Soon. 🙂

22. TheBlackCrayon77 on December 8th, 2010 10:33 am

Very very nice I must agree, I just got one myself along with Keith’s BD-2 with the Galaxie Mod. Both pedals are off the hook and sound amazing. Hey Burg when do I get to checkout one of your pedals for my blog?

23. borntorock1993 on December 8th, 2010 11:08 am

tht does sound brilliant

24. PapaKenny777 on December 8th, 2010 11:39 am

That does sound pretty darn good!