Catalinbread Supercharged Overdrive – SCOD

January 11, 2011

www.catalinbread.com Recorded with a Floyd Rose Redmond Model 3 (HSS – Vintage spec p into a Laney VC50 2 x 12 combo with Celestion Greenbacks. I added a little reverb plate to the output.

Comments

19 Responses to “Catalinbread Supercharged Overdrive – SCOD”

1. jchancegibbs on January 11th, 2011 5:54 pm

I just picked up an SFT. Now I HAVE to get this one too!

2. Burgerman666 on January 11th, 2011 6:52 pm

@Zeiler91 I wouldn’t really compare them. The SCOD is infinitely meaner and thicker IMO. The DLS is a low-mid gain unabashed Marshall in a box. The SCOD is more along the lines of an Orange, T-Rex era, on steroids. It also does a great cranked Treble Booster and, basically, just absolutely rocks. Hard.

3. Zeiler91 on January 11th, 2011 7:09 pm

hi mate! love ur vids man. Got a question, thinking bout buying a DLS, but how is the DLS compared with the SCOD? Hope you can help m8!

4. Burgerman666 on January 11th, 2011 8:07 pm

@asaxena12 Thanks for the kind and encouraging words. We aim to please! 🙂

Super Plex do a SCOD? Not really. The SCOD is one of the unique overdrive/distortions out there. Its middy, thick raunchy tone is hard to emulate even with a pushed Orange amp on steriods. The Super Plex does the JCM800 thing very well but this one is different, IMO. Cheers, BK.

5. asaxena12 on January 11th, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi Brett,

First of all lemme say you are one hell of a guitarist and your demoes are awesome and very helpful. My question is, can Wampler Super Plextortion produce SCOD like tones. I am really interested in SCOD, but I already own a Super Plextortion (which I love a lot and it isn’t going anywhere). To me SP is quite flexible and dynamic, and it would be a waste for me to buy a SCOD, if I can easily dial in SCOD like tones on my SP. Your opinion will be very helpful. Thanks a ton.

6. TheSAJ11 on January 11th, 2011 9:39 pm

I have to say this was a great distortion pedal , but my only problem with it that it is way too noisy , above average noisy that is , that is why I got rid of it , I hope catalinbread fix that , then they will have a total winner of a pedal .

7. kaushik312 on January 11th, 2011 10:32 pm

is it just me or does it sound like a blanket over the amp?

8. jazzvi on January 11th, 2011 11:02 pm

hi brett. would the scod stack well after the DLS? to play leads basically.

9. Burgerman666 on January 11th, 2011 11:43 pm

It’s actually a ‘Contour’ knob. To quote CB’s site: “Crank the CONTOUR knob and you tighten up the lowend adding resonance of a sealed 4×12.” There you go. 🙂

10. Jb5258 on January 11th, 2011 11:45 pm

duz the contour control the mids or izit just a tone control???

11. DemoColorScheme on January 12th, 2011 12:17 am

This thing sounds so great, so full! I found one second hand over here and I’m gonna get it! I’d love to see how it works in my rig, see if it can replace the DLS. I’m also getting a VariOboost Pro in today, or at least, I hope!

12. HD28HD on January 12th, 2011 12:30 am

First of all, I love your demo’s! Keep up the good work!
    But I have a question, could you post a vid en stack the DLS with the SCOD?

cheers!

13. Burgerman666 on January 12th, 2011 1:04 am

Thanks! EQ was flat – all at noon.

14. Hellride on January 12th, 2011 1:09 am

Great tone and playing as always. How is your amp set? Eq?

15. Burgerman666 on January 12th, 2011 1:27 am

Yeah, that’s what I thought. It hones right in on that Jake middy sound. Too cool. That’s the great thing about this pedal that often gets overlooked when it’s being listened to on its own: It cuts through a stage mix because of its great focused mid frequency. There’s too many people out there saying. “Oh yeah, great, but it sounds boxy and middy.” But that’s it’s strength. That’s what you need to cut through the commotion on stage. The same reason a TS works well on stage. Just a tip. 😉

16. smoss469 on January 12th, 2011 2:16 am

That thing cops a GREAT Ozzy tone!

17. bloodySunday77 on January 12th, 2011 2:55 am

?xcellent! Shows how much it can boost, too… the sound also came partly from the suffering front end of the Laney. I also have it and it sometimes gives a harsher sound – it all depends on the basic sound that it is layered upon. On gigging-rehearsal volumes it behaves completely differently – I would want it to be a bit more gentle, actually…

18. Dimitriyus on January 12th, 2011 3:04 am

Nice demo!!

I like the SCOD pedal!

19. amizakk on January 12th, 2011 3:48 am

Nice review. Very helpful!