Cessna 172SP Practice LOC/BC Rwy 23 Approach EWB 7-3-10.mov

January 26, 2011

This video should interest those of you who are thinking of doing instrument training, but don’t really know much about it. Not an actual lesson, this was a flight I took with an experienced safety pilot and friend, from Norwood (OWD) to New Bedford (EWB) to do a practice approach under the hood. For me, it was a first look at the IFR system. The first time you do this it is a pretty cool experience. Without looking outside the plane, you end up pointed at the correct runway, ready to evaluation your options for a visual landing. Like everyone, I had done some hood work in my primary training, but this flight took it to a whole new level. There is a lot coming at you when you’re flying instruments. You’ll see that my safety pilot friend did all the radio work and walked me through the procedures while I did my best to keep the plane heading in the right direction at the right speed and altitude. Of course as you’ll be able to tell, I had mixed success with this hand flying under the hood. Nothing too far off course, but I’m sure I busted the tolerances several times in just about every direction. As you will see, thanks to my safety pilot’s experience and help, it all went well and I got a great first-hand look at “the system.” We flew VFR with flight following and made the requests for a practice instrument approach as we went along. There is great ATC audio in this video and two HD video cameras to give some variety. No landing since we went “missed” on the approach

Comments

13 Responses to “Cessna 172SP Practice LOC/BC Rwy 23 Approach EWB 7-3-10.mov”

1. gorentfreefast on January 26th, 2011 1:52 pm

Nice work…

2. N2369Z on January 26th, 2011 2:44 pm

Hey man I was wondering where you got the cable you use for capturing the audio in your clips. I really love your videos. And want to start making my own.

Thanks.

3. mitgolden76 on January 26th, 2011 2:53 pm

How lucky you are to be doing instrument training with a g1000. I’m getting close to finishing mine, but i’ve done it all round dial. We have a GNS430W but I’m lucky if I ever get to touch it during most of the training.

4. acmach5 on January 26th, 2011 3:34 pm

Rick, this is really cool! Are you planning on going for your IFR rating? I’m happy to report that my solo went great and I got it all on video! Thanks for inspiring me to film my flying.

5. rdfelty on January 26th, 2011 4:02 pm

@jhchristie Thanks Jim. Great perspective how how “easy” we have it these days!

6. jhchristie on January 26th, 2011 4:04 pm

Rick;

Nice job and a good introduction to IFR flying. I was initially surprised that the instructor had you do a back course approach unitl I realized the G1000 made it much easier. Back in my day (15 years ago before GPS was really being used) we had to “fly the needle backwards” since the localizer was for the “front course.” Therefore, when the VOR needle started moving right, you had to turn LEFT (away from the needle) to bring it back on course.

This was called “fun!”

7. Jetsg0 on January 26th, 2011 4:41 pm

Very cool. Great video. I used this approach countless times to teach my students about the LOC/BC…good luck with your instrument training!

8. CirrusSR20Pilot on January 26th, 2011 4:51 pm

Great video Rick, the graphics with the approach plate was great!

9. donwert on January 26th, 2011 5:06 pm

Your trainer looks like a teenager! LOL…..

10. XaircraftX on January 26th, 2011 5:17 pm

Awesome video! i’ve been practicing a bunch of VOR and ILS approaches on the flight simulator, looking forward to starting my IFR training soon. this video shows how it’s done in the actual cockpit!

11. aviator147 on January 26th, 2011 5:54 pm

wow…im almost done with my PPL…but this video got me really excited to get my IFR ticket at UND!

12. DerPilotMann on January 26th, 2011 6:06 pm

Nice job! I cant wait until I get to IFR training =)

13. N44949 on January 26th, 2011 6:13 pm

Very cool Rick! I ran and got my flight bag and grabbed my approach plates and followed along as you decended. Very informational. Really interesting to see a bit of how IFR and instrument flying works. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more –Andrew