Cessna Caravan Encounters Severe Ice

February 23, 2011

This Caravan nearly crashed becuase the pilot placed getting there ahead of safety. Airmenship is 90% judgement and 10% flying skill. Please listen to this clip as this could be you next winter if you let the get there itis get to you.

Comments

25 Responses to “Cessna Caravan Encounters Severe Ice”

1. lunchbag08 on February 23rd, 2011 1:47 am

@delta9cbd trying to be a brave pilot is what gets people killed. This was a stupid decision to continue with the flight when she is obviously flustered and stressed and could not even notice she had ice until she was in an uncontrollable dive. Then she continues flying at 6500 when the temp is at freezing and had to wait for the controller to suggest lower. not a good pilot!

2. flyboyzach07 on February 23rd, 2011 1:54 am

what an idiot!! I am a low timer, but even i would have put it on the ground asap after i got control for sure not to mention i probably would have never flown in that mess anyway, or at least used what ice protection the airplane has way before it built up that bad for sure.

3. timbojo80 on February 23rd, 2011 1:54 am

Parking is the next problem. Oh boy!

4. Chuky13XD on February 23rd, 2011 2:18 am

Guy in the background after first mayday ” k have a good one , solong”

5. piper877 on February 23rd, 2011 3:14 am

I wonder if this was the one where they were ferrying a couple Caravans from the West coast over to Europe with a stop in Maine before crossing. I heard once she was asleep and when she woke up she was doing the 90 degree bank thing. Now we have a low speed warning horn that sounds if airspeed gets too low with the prop heat on. Not sure if this is what’s happening though.

6. AJsOwner on February 23rd, 2011 3:33 am

Gutsy lady. Whatever else could be said, she got through a dangerous situation OK.

7. c53204 on February 23rd, 2011 3:56 am

You get incompetent drivers – heaven knows how some people pass their driving test.

Seems now incompetence has crept into aviation. Add this to pressure from companies to ‘make the trip’ – leads to this video.

8. charlieechovictor on February 23rd, 2011 4:18 am

@N63296 I’d say she’s very brave. But my instructor says get far from the clouds whenever there is Icing conditions…

9. OI8APC2 on February 23rd, 2011 4:52 am

She needs to get that thing on the ground. Poor lady. She’s not a very good pilot. I’m not a pilot and I know that after an incident like this, the last thing I want to do is be in the clouds. I’d get my ass down, get out of the plane and smoke a joint.

10. n8vfrybread on February 23rd, 2011 5:09 am

good God i hope i never have her for a pilot!

11. Apollo580 on February 23rd, 2011 5:54 am

Jesus lady. Instead of freaking out, figure out what to do to solve the problem.

12. sunnie765 on February 23rd, 2011 6:48 am

You are all a bunch of know it all idiots! I have known this pilot for over 20 years, and she probably trained some of you snot nosed brats at Flight Safety! I would like to see ANY ONE of you punks pull yourselves out of this situation without fainting like a little girl! You haven’t got a CLUE regarding the FACTS (ferry fuel tanks, etc), all you need to hear is ATC saying “is that a female flying the plane???” and your judgement is made. Let your mommies hear this and see what they say.

13. cessnaclub on February 23rd, 2011 7:27 am

@vfrl7r I only know one guy your age flying a van in Aus and his in Woolloongong.

14. cessnaclub on February 23rd, 2011 8:13 am

@vfrl7r I wish I knew people you know. 🙂 Who did u do your endo with?

15. cessnaclub on February 23rd, 2011 8:49 am

@vfrl7r I wish I knew people you know. 🙂 Who did u do your endo with?

16. cessnaclub on February 23rd, 2011 8:56 am

@vfrl7r Have you got your ATPLs?

17. cessnaclub on February 23rd, 2011 9:55 am

@vfrl7r Wow your lucky champ. It took me $5000 for the endorsement and 200 hrs under ICUS time before they let me drive the van and i had 2000 hrs before i even went for the job.

18. cessnaclub on February 23rd, 2011 10:31 am

@vfrl7r How did u start flying a van when you r only 20 years old?

19. vfrl7r on February 23rd, 2011 11:13 am

@cessnaclub Amen. I’m still on my PPL and I’ve just started flying the van with skydivers and even doing 2-3000fpm descents while everything is going perfectly is still a bit scary initially!

20. cessnaclub on February 23rd, 2011 11:22 am

@vfrl7r yeah i agree.I mean seriously who the fuck was dumb enough to give her a van to drive?

21. Learjetjock on February 23rd, 2011 12:08 pm

@beergut111 spot on. To reply to Webley’s though….. Just because you have a head about you generally does not mean that others are thinking as far outside the box as you may (Which I commend) And never say never. Tomorrow could be your day. It goes for any of us in any type if we dont think, think again, think again than execute.

22. beergut111 on February 23rd, 2011 1:07 pm

yeah so have i. some planes handle ice better than others. and this plane is on the bottom of that list. i never crashed one either, but it sucks in the ice.

23. Webleys on February 23rd, 2011 1:33 pm

Not true at all!

If you fly them carefully and plan ahead they really aren’t a problem in ice.

I’ve been flying them in ice in the northern US for 19 years with no real problem.

There are hundreds of them flying freight every night; occasionally someone will screw up.

24. vfrl7r on February 23rd, 2011 1:38 pm

Fuck continuing on after out of control 90 degree banks at 2000fpm! How’s that for a case of get there itis. Dumb bitch.

25. Outlaw1257 on February 23rd, 2011 1:42 pm

@Learjetjock; Do you have any information regarding the cost of cleaning the upholstery after she landed??