student hovering a helicopter

March 3, 2011

more: www.heli-chair.com A student’s first time flying a helicopter with no previous instruction except flying with the Heli-Chair, a flight training device that uses a small remote controlled helicopter to teach muscle memory and coordination. The student is manipulating ALL of the controls. Prior training with the Heli-Chair is documented at around 25 hours of self-taught flying, 95% of which is simplying hovering. Most pilots will require 10-12 hours in a helicopter to get to this point of proficiency with a hover, with no prior training.

Comments

23 Responses to “student hovering a helicopter”

1. qqboy138 on March 3rd, 2011 7:53 am

You crash it, you pay it…

2. steam4o on March 3rd, 2011 8:10 am

@tobyntx Face the facts. there was a guy that made news on plane/helicopter simulators and he did it

3. DJMemphis on March 3rd, 2011 8:54 am

@tobyntx A person who is right there in the chopper with them, with their hands “hovering” over the controls at all times…

4. megasmart1337 on March 3rd, 2011 9:25 am

daaaam fake and gay 😀

5. Internettroll1 on March 3rd, 2011 10:22 am

even controling an rc helicopter will help u familiarise urself to the systems in flying

6. motokid032 on March 3rd, 2011 10:35 am

Thanks X-plane 9 for pimping my hover.

7. redips1012 on March 3rd, 2011 11:21 am

I don’t know anything about a helicair, but I was able to do pickups to a hover and set downs at 1.5 total time (unaided). So, its possible. I think what helped me was talking to a lot of pilots who told me to watch for over-controlling…that was the key.

8. nzburger on March 3rd, 2011 12:03 pm

People obviously don’t read the explanation of the video…..

9. Transam941 on March 3rd, 2011 1:02 pm

Being that I fly Cessnas he hovers better than I can. Video is bullshit, hoverchair sounds phony.

10. lejink on March 3rd, 2011 1:49 pm

what biohazzard said- but aswell the pilot is sitting right beside him, iv tried flying a robertson befor, i was 16 at the time. the pilot was a flight school instructor,he let me controle the pedals first, then the cyclic, then i had full controle- he was still touching the controles but i was flying it. flight school instructors are recovery experts- im sure he started small and realized this man had the skills of a experienced student and gave him for slack to play with. i believe its real

11. biohazzardious on March 3rd, 2011 2:15 pm

read the description they trained him on a heli chair, youtube it and its a rc helipoter and you sit in a chair with the real controls, and you fly the mini helicopter, and he probly had around 40-60 hours of training on that machine, and is doing it now! and he flys a real simulation before doing this.

12. tobyntx on March 3rd, 2011 3:01 pm

2 things. #1. is No that’s not a rookie in the seat #2. is: What idot in their right mind would give a $300 thousand dollar helicopter to a pilot with 3 minutes flight time? I’m calling BULLSHIT! on this one.
    I couldn’t hover that well till around 5 or 10 hours of actual flight time.

13. ooli1 on March 3rd, 2011 3:53 pm

Can you ?

14. tsham511 on March 3rd, 2011 3:56 pm

so have i!!
    😀 😀
    grtz! ;);)

15. Picapacapopo on March 3rd, 2011 4:17 pm

Hes not really a student though. Its his first time!

By the way, I have plenty of respect to anyone who fly’s heli’s. :):):)

16. tsham511 on March 3rd, 2011 4:56 pm

c’mon dude what a bullcrap!!
    have some respect for REAL helicopter students!

17. Picapacapopo on March 3rd, 2011 5:52 pm

To hover that well im sure theres a catch somehow. Maybe he flies rc heli’s. I fly rc heli’s and I was able to fly a 22 in FSX with the settings set on Highest Realism. I actually flew it around and landed it smoothly. Of course this was in a simulator but its pretty real. I also know what the real controls are in a heli so that kinda helps…

18. ladyCleo89 on March 3rd, 2011 6:00 pm

I can hardly believe that this guy is hovering so well the first time he’s flown the 22!! It took me 6/7 hours of training to hover the thing. However I saw a young lady do exacly that: she flew a 300 for the first time and she was able to hover and manouver the heli straight away!!! Very brilliant indeed.

19. miketacoma5 on March 3rd, 2011 6:19 pm

Actually, hovering an helicopter is anything but boring……specially a 22. I have a hard time believing that this is a first time flyer, especially after that creamy set-down.

20. yodashqdotcom on March 3rd, 2011 7:02 pm

me too 🙂

21. hiddenmale1112 on March 3rd, 2011 8:00 pm

i wanna try!

22. seatec70 on March 3rd, 2011 8:04 pm

Hey dumbass, hovering is ono of the most difficult things you can do with a helicopter.

23. militaryfirearmsdude on March 3rd, 2011 8:38 pm

He can Hover but can he actually fly anywhere? No point in just hovering in a heli all day.. BORING